Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cheap version of an embossing heat gun....

Okay, we all know I'm the Queen of Cheapo! I shop the clearance racks and sales. I have been itching to get into embossing. I put my brain to work and was thinking, hmmmm, what heat source can I use, to avoid having to purchase an embossing heat gun? Well, I've already been told that a blow dryer doesn't get hot enough and only blows the powder around. I ran my thoughts by Greg when he suggested the heat lamps in his shop that he uses for painting cars, etc. So I decided to give it a whirl. Well, what I thought was embossing powder, turned out only to be glitter which did not melt, as a result, the heat lamp only burned the glue off the paper and the glitter fell right off. So on Sunday, I took my 40% off coupon to Michael's in search of an embossing heat gun. Well, I still wasn't ready to pay that price and they didn't have any sets of embossing powders, so I just decided to wait and shop around more. I did however, buy one jar of black embossing powder. I searched all over the internet today for ideas as a heat source. I found where some said to use the burner on the stove-top, an iron, a light bulb, etc. And when I read the part about the toaster, it was like a light bulb went off in my head. What a perfect idea!!!! So tonight I came home and stamped a fleur de lis on gold paper with my one and only 'black' embossing powder. I depressed the button on the toaster and held my piece over the top where the heat escapes. Wah-lah!!!! It worked! It melted the embossing powder as it should and I had a perfectly embossed fleur de lis. Now the kicker is this....it takes more than just one push of the toaster button to heat the piece completely and my toaster will only allow me to depress the button once without at least one piece of bread in it. Each time after that I tried to depress the button, the toaster made a loud clicking noise and the button was trying to kick back up. So the moral of the story is...I can save my money on buying a heat gun, but I guess I'll only be embossing when I'm in the mood to eats lots and lots of toast bread!!!! lol.

7 comments:

  1. That is too funny! I guess I'm less adventureous -- I got the heat tool from Stampin' Up! I've been very happy with it; however, I haven't tried making toast with it -- LOL

    Your blog looks very nice -- I like the background you chose.

    Loir

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny Cathy. So I guess you going have to look for a heat gun. Maybe you could save some $$$ with ebay. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i'll just used greg's heat lamp in the shop - - no bread required!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so funny. i love this story. i bought my heat embossing gun at michaels if i remember correctly with a coupon of course...i don't think i would have went through this much trouble to do heat embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only a redneck like you would come up with some kind of idea, to try something like that. Hope you like eating toast bread!!! Ha Ha Ha. What a clever idea, but I hope you plan to bring the toaster when you go away for crops.
    Kaci-

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea, a friend of mine (no names) asked if was planning on investing in a toaster for my scrap room. i think i'll just do the stamping and run to the kitchen to heat it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, love your idea and I'm about to try it. But my real question now is can you make toast with a heat gun...?

    ReplyDelete